[extropy-chat] Charity

natashavita at earthlink.net natashavita at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 15:19:29 UTC 2004

-----------------
From: Technotranscendence

On Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:14 PM Harvey Newstrom
mail at HarveyNewstrom.com wrote:

>>> No.  Where did you get that idea.  I did not
>>> bring them up.  I answered a direct question.
>>
>> Just a hunch.  Sometimes they're wrong, you know?:)
>
> You accuse me of using of boasting about my
> moral superiority "on a hunch"???

"I wrote "it seems..."  I feel you're overreacting.  Maybe "hunch" was
the wrong word.  It seemed to me that all the pieces fit.  You brought
up your doing charitable work in the context of bashing a libertarian
caricature.  Recall, you wrote:..."

We have learned over time that political positioning of people and
organizations is fruitless in its goal to gain momentum at another person's
or organization's expense.  Further, arguing on this list is equally
fruitless because this list is extropic and political positioning is, more
often than not, antagonistical to extropy.

We also know that there is a diversity among transhumanists and that no one
political policy, organization, platform, or leader is capable of
satisfying everyone, and certainly not capable of bringing all
transhumanist goals into being.

Since Extropy Institute and extropy, the philosophy of transhumanism, is
not supportive of any one political party, platform, group, or leader; it
is far more futuristic and positive for our future to discover ways of
solving the world's problems without having to exhibit it in one particular
frame.  It simply will not work.

Lastly, thinking about and producing projects of good will that help
others, "charity," is important for our organization - Extropy Institute.
Who cares what political affiliation the givers belong to.

I'd like to see someone suggest such projects that we can provide to
others.  Right now I am in the mountains with snow on the ground looking
out at the ski runs.  I spent the last three days working on charitable
projects here in town with others who are doing their best to uplift others
who need support, encouragement, and direction.

One such project is sponsored by the Smithsonian Institute, another by
local business owners, and yet another by local individuals who want better
education for their children, more knowledge about biology, and better
understanding of the world.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
President, Extropy Institute