The moral inferiority of charity (Was: Re:[extropy-chat]Gametheoryofcommoncold

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 17:13:02 UTC 2004

I don;t know about all of that. Charity goes back a long ways in our
history. Even in H neanderthalensis. There are many fossilized skeletons of
people who lived long after such serious injuries as amputation, severelt
broken limbs and/or rib cages, jaws partially torn off, and heads that were
more than a little cracked open.
The only way that these people could have survived would have been through a
concerted effort on the part of the group. This happened even though the
person was no longer an asset to the group and instead was a terrible drain.
Groups such as these almost never stayed in one place long, so for a person
to survive for sometimes years after these injuries, they would have had to
been carried from place to place.
With no benefit to the group and possibly putting the group at a
disadvantage, what would be the purpose in carrying this person around
rather than leaving them on their own?
I think the benefit is that the people "feel" better about themselves. When
people feel better, they are more productive. This may seem
counter-intuitive, but it also just may fit.
Kevin Freels