[extropy-chat] Re: Home-schooling

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Wed Jan 21 17:14:04 UTC 2004

 (1/21/04 8:35) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:
>>  (1/20/04 8:36) Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk> wrote:
>>
>> >I would be more interested in how we can use a voucher system to
>> improve
>> >the private schools. Then we can have a better and more varied
>> choice.
>>
>> I would be MUCH more interested in how you propose to disentangle the
>> current voucher system proposals from the religious loonies' desire
>> to transfer public funds to their prosyletizing efforts. Only Milton
>> Friedman's foundation's private vouchers seem to be working in that
>> regard.
>
>I find it rather disengenuous to conflate a religious parent wishing to
>send his or her own children to a religious school WITH THEIR OWN MONEY
>as 'transfer public funds to their prosyletizing efforts'. Talk about
>loony statements.

Ahh. Well, if you're giving them an exact deduction from their -property- taxes, I have no problem. Its when you pay them out of federal taxes that I have a problem, for obvious reasons. At that point, its just another special interest clamoring for more of my money, natch?

>A good way to disentangle vouchers is to simply allow parents to deduct
>their tuition from their property taxes. It IS THEIR MONEY to begin
>with. Is it that you don't trust other people to spend their own money?

Absolutely not. See above.

>I would be much more interested in proposals to disentangle the
>entrenched teachers union from the public system in order to enforce
>real quality standards on teacher performance.

So would I. Good luck with it. The educational establishment has ingrained the union mentality into every education school in the country. I'm increasingly of the opinion that the only solution is to eradicated public schooling.

This creates it own set of problems.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein