[extropy-chat] Re: Home-schooling

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 19:00:47 UTC 2004

--- Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org> wrote:

> That's one of those "hard" questions. I've not seen any data that has
> sufficiently convinced me that -any- form of education - public,
> private, or home- can educate the children of parents who do not
> value education themselves.  The unfortunate reality is that such
> parents are disproportionately found in the lower end of the
> socioeconomic spectrum.  It may be that prison education is the only
> realistic solution to the problem. The idealist in me would like to
> think this isn't the case, but I've not seen much that gives me hope
> in that regard.

Good point. How about a requirement of no parole for any prisoner who
doesn't get a GED and certification in a trade? One problem with the
prison system is that educational opportunities in many are stunted and
there is no incentive for participation.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey