[extropy-chat] Self-Enhancement: data acquisition at high speed

Thu Jan 22 02:58:13 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> Harvey's comments a week or two ago got me to thinking about
> how one can use technology available now for
> self-improvement, greater time efficiency, greater
> comprehension or retention, etc.

Sorry!  :-)

> But in any case it looks to me like the methods and perhaps
> even the tools may exist for Harvey to get twice as much news
> in 1/2 to 1/3 the time or 2-3x the news in the same amount of time.

Too late.  I already use the following methods to overload myself with more
information:

1.  I use Windows Media Player to play recorded lectures at
faster-than-normal speeds with adjustments to keep it from sounding like the
chipmunks. 2.  I used speed-reading machines in college to practice faster
reading.  I could get up to 1000 WPM, but it is very hectic, like playing a
very fast video game.  I can only do it for 5-10 minutes before having
severe headache and eyestrain. 3.  I use text-to-speech to convert internet
documents to voice which I can play at a faster-than-normal speed and while
traveling or do physical chores. 4.  I never watch live TV, but always use
tape to remove commercials.  I do not know of any VCR to play stuff faster
than normal while retaining sound.

After doing this for a while, I have made the following observations:

1.  I am not limited by how fast I can input data.  The problem is getting
quality data and dense data so that I don't waste time with poor sources.
Searching for a better source usually saves me more time than using a poorer
source at a higher speed. 2.  Learning takes time.  So does thinking about
topics.  The more dense and difficult information is, the longer it takes to
learn.  The speed of reading/hearing the data becomes the least limiting
factor. 3.  Too much information is stressful.  For a while I was listening
to lectures during showers, dressing, eating, driving, mowing the lawn,
doing laundry, etc.  I never had any down time.  I found it to be useful for
memorization and comprehension, but not for analysis and reflection.  I need
downtime with no input to churn the ideas and invent new ones.

> I'd like to see how different people would rate these
> and any other subjects between retention/memorization, comprehension
> and practice of methods.

Bloom's taxonomy gives six levels of cognitive learning.  I would think that
speed is fastest for lower levels, slower for middle layers, and actually
requires response time for higher levels.  Each of the higher levels
requires all the lower levels to be processed first, so there is actually
more work to perform higher levels of cognitive learning.

- Knowledge:  	fastest speed to memorize and recognize facts
- Comprehension:	fast speed to understand and interpolate meanings
- Application:	slower speed to translate to other situations
- Analysis:		slowest speed to logically analyze and deconstruct
- Synthesis:	more response time needed to create new information
- Evaluation:	most response time needed for all levels to be evaluated

See <http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/bloom.html> for Bloom's taxonomies.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,