[extropy-chat] About SPAM again

Alejandro Dubrovsky alito at organicrobot.com
Fri Jan 23 02:52:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 12:18, Emlyn O'regan wrote:
> Robert replied:
> >
> > Microsoft (and others?) have a proposal (the Penny Black
> > project) out that
> > would force unsolicited incoming emails to consume something
> > like 10 seconds
> > of CPU time on the sender CPU before they are accepted.  I
> > think this might
> > be problematic for managers of large mailing lists.
>
> Horrible solution, for the reason you've just suggested. Email's broadcast
> mechanisms are useful.
> Anyway, how do you define unsolicited email at that level?

I don't mind it.  Server/addresses could be approved by the receiving
server after user confirms their first email is not spam, and no longer
subjected to the test from then on.  Even if spammers collect real email
addresses to use in the from field, they are still unlikely to guess
which ones the receiver will have preapproved.  I get only one piece of
spam per day on average (lucky i guess), but they are never from
addresses i would have approved.
This is a very similar concept to the "pay-1-cent per email and then the
receiver can reimburse" scheme, but it bypasses the hassles involved
with all financial transactions.
alejandro