[extropy-chat] NEWS: Mars Express finds water ice on Mars

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jan 23 12:17:46 UTC 2004

Alfio Puglisi:
>This is from 7 minutes ago:

>http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEM8ZB474OD_index_0.html
>"...Through the initial mapping of the South polar cap on 18 January,
>OMEGA, the combined camera and infrared spectrometer, has already
>revealed the presence of water ice and carbon dioxide ice."

Nice, hmm? They are doing a *great* job. I can say that, being unbiased,
but, OK, they are my friends too.

Mars Express sees its first water - scientific results
http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/SEM8ZB474OD_index_1.html

Size: 300 KB
OMEGA observed the southern polar cap of Mars on 18 January 2004, as
seen on all three bands.
Credits: ESA

the ESA credits, in more detail:

Dr. Giancarlo Bellucci
INAF Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario
Via Fosso del Cavaliere 00133 Rome, Italy

and the rest of the Mars Express OMEGA team:
F. Altieri, P. Baldetti, V. Formisano, A. Morbidini, R. Morbidini,
F. Nuccili, A. Pavoni,
and funding by ASI (the Italian Space Agency)
--

Amara Graps, PhD
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario (IFSI)
Roma, ITALIA     Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it