[extropy-chat] Robert Ettinger's new book: Youniverse

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Sun Jan 25 16:07:55 UTC 2004

Youniverse, the new book of the "founding father of Cryonics" Robert
Ettinger, will be published soon. From the book's website at
youniverse.net: "The measure of all things is you - or I or she, as the
case may be. The only valid value system for the individual is built
around his own needs or wants. The problem is that she seldom knows
what she really wants, or ought to want. And it’s hard to get there,
or plan the trip, if you don’t know where you want to go. All
previous philosophers have been failures at best, and sad clowns at
worst. Many of them were smarter than I am, and some did useful work,
but none came within shouting distance of the primary goal of
philosophy, which is to provide guidelines for real life - especially
life in the face of death. "
 From the table of contents: Introductory Notes - Overview - Premodern
philosophy - Modern philosophy - Apostasy, Anyone? - Science as Savior
- Determinism and Free Will - Me-First and Feel-Good - The Science of
Living - Tits and Tats - Identity & Survival 1, Meat - Identity &
Survival 2, Silicon - Immortalism & Cryonics - Superman in the First
and Second Person - Makeovers - Miscellaneous Issues - Paradoxes -
Godel's Error - Quantum Questions - Strategies - Personal Notes -
Appendix: The Probability of Revival after Cryostasis - References.
Now this is a book that I want to read asap. Readers can pre-order an
autographed copy by following the instructions given at youniverse.net.