[ok] [extropy-chat] [comp] Protect an exe?

Henrique Moraes Machado hemm at br.inter.net
Tue Jan 27 12:01:31 UTC 2004

Well,
As far as I know, there's no way of bulletproofing an EXE against viruses. But there are a few thing you could do to give a little protection to your users:
1. Dont send the executable as an attachment. Put it on a web server and send the link to the users.
2. Find some CRC32 algorithm (there are some on the net) and use it on your EXE. CRC32 if far more accurate to determine changes in a file than simply checking it's size. Publish the CRC32 of your file on the same web server and have the program to perform a test when it starts. Then if the result differs from the published, it means the EXE has been tampered.
3. Test your EXE with your antivirus program and state it on the server (and in your email). Something like "The program has been tested with superwhateverscan antivirus and is virus free certified". Than if the user gets some virus he can't blame you.

Sorry for the bad english. Not my native language, you know.