[extropy-chat] Computer virus

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 01:45:02 UTC 2004

Every day I send about 25 attachments and receive close to a hundred. This
doesn't include the SPAM, just the regular documents necessary to do my job.
Many come from total strangers.

Norton Antivirus 2003 is up to date..I check it nearly every day just to
make sure. Everything that comes in goes through the Yahoo virus filter
before downloading to Outlook Express. Then Norton scans incoming mail.
Finally, I have my settings to scan all files on opening.

I was hit with this thing about 200 times today! Each time it came in,
Norton grabbed it. I was a bit concerned that just maybe 1 or two could have
gotten through. I ran a full scan and sure enough, 4 virus infected files
were sitting in temp directories where Outlook Express temporarily stores
attachments! They hadn't been activated or opened, but the fact that they
weren't noticed until I ran a full scan was scary enough! What a wicked mean
beast!

Earlier in the day, I happened across a website that had the actual code
posted for this sucker. It supposedly is set to email stuff or send info to
http://www.russnelson.com/
Some of the code is at http://www.russnelson.com/mydoom
I don;t know if tehre is truth in any of this or if I was just following a
blind aley hoax, but it was a bit interesting.

I also found that McAfee 4318 update is not enough to stop this bug. If you
have McAfee, you need today's newest DAT file 4319.

Kevin Freels