[extropy-chat] Hybrids

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 30 00:08:54 UTC 2004

I was involved in the attempting to develop a marketable Bison Hybrid back in the
1970's.
Many unforseen issues can arise.  In the case of bison - bovine hybrids there was a
dramatic difference between male and female offspring.  The F1 and F2 male offspring
were usually infertile and had under developed testes.  The females were quite
normal at any generation.  Usually bovine females were bred to bison to begin the
process.  The male fetuses caused severe immunological reactions in the mother.
The uterus greatly inflated blocking off the other organs of the bovine mother.
This caused starvation in some cases.  Abortion and early birth with complications
such as immature lungs without surfactants caused widespread mortality of
predominantly male offspring.  The fluid issue was referred to as Hydrops.
We had calves born 1-2 months premature who had these problems and died within 1 day
or 2 of birth.  Usually one could sex the offspring just by noting which cows were
building up fluid.  Males caused much more Hydrops than females.

When one used hybrid mothers, there was much less of the extreme incompatibility,
however gestation was many times a month earlier than for bovines.

Recombination did eventually produce some 30-45% fertile males to continue the
breeding with.  The merchandising of the meat was not highly successful so the
breeder market has largely disappeared.  From 1965-1985 there was however much
activity in this area.

So,  the bison/bovine divergence marks the limit under natural conditions under
which mating can be successful.

Bison hybrids would be an ideal research tool to investigate this further, given
that the tools available to entrepreneurial ranchers of the 1970's are far less than
the state of today's art.

Morris Johnson