[extropy-chat] Confirmation of microbes in Mars meteorite

Russell Evermore nanowave at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 30 05:16:01 UTC 2004

I very much like the possibility that life here on Earth may have originated
on Mars. Despite the "God of War" mythology (which does tend to explain a
few things) the possibility that two independent instances of genesis might
arise in a single star system seems more than a little disturbing. The Fermi
Paradox looms up in our faces and we must contend with interstellar
predators, duplicitous Visitors, imminent self-destruction, or doorways
leading to parallel universes, miniated with apparently compelling moral
imperatives to step into them.

I'd really rather be a Martian.

RE
nanowave at shaw.ca

> Confirmation of microbes in Mars meteorite

> We're all from Mars: scientists
> Graeme Webber
> January 30, 2004
> THE Martians are not coming - they've probably already arrived on earth.
And
> we could be their descendants.
>
> Two Australian scientists have developed new technology to confirm claims
by
> NASA that a meteorite from Mars found in Antarctica in 1984 contained
> microscopic fossils from the red planet.
> Scientists have fiercely debated whether the ancient, microscopic
compounds
> were deposited by ancient bacteria or natural chemical reactions - and
> whether such bacteria was Martian or moved in after the meteorite fell to
> earth.
> But biophysicist Dr Tony Taylor from the Australian Nuclear Science and
> Technology Organisation (ANSTO) in Sydney and the University of
Queensland's