[extropy-chat] Confirmation of microbes in Mars meteorite

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 13:28:52 UTC 2004

--- Russell Evermore <nanowave at shaw.ca> wrote:
> I very much like the possibility that life here on Earth may have
> originated
> on Mars. Despite the "God of War" mythology (which does tend to
> explain a
> few things) the possibility that two independent instances of genesis
> might
> arise in a single star system seems more than a little disturbing.

I would say no. Given what we expect to find in the oceans of Europa
and other slushy moons of Jupiter, and possibly Titan as well, I'd say
that life's fecundity should be expected to be attempted wherever
possible. It is intelligence that is rare, requiring a world that is
stable long enough to produce it, and which produces the kind of
intelligence that is capable of reaching for the stars.
Given the intelligence of Porpoises, parrots, and other apes besides
man, all of which have demonstrated cognitive and language skills,
technological intelligence is the rare bird.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8533660%255E15306,00.html

> > Emlyn

=====
Mike Lorrey