[extropy-chat] Re: Hybrids

sjvans at mailhost.mil.ameritech.net sjvans at mailhost.mil.ameritech.net
Fri Jan 30 18:32:31 UTC 2004

From: Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com

>The above discussion suggests that there would possibly be three
>potential civilization cores -- those centered around nuclear
>vessels, those centered around nuclear power reactors and those
>centered around hydroelectric power centers.

Huh?  I am getting into this late, but could someone explain to me how this
hypothetical "extinction level event" would wipe out fossil fuels?  Coal
mines and oil fields are 19th and very early 20th century technology...much
easier to maintain and preserve than nuclear power plants.  With a
hypothetically much reduced population, known reserves and even stored
supplies would last a very long time.  I'd much rather try my hand at
distilling straight gasoline from crude or making producer gas from coal
than refuel a nuclear power plant.

sjv