[extropy-chat] VP Summit - Press Release - Comments Please!

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 00:20:49 UTC 2004

From: "Jef Allbright" <jef at jefallbright.net>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] VP Summit - Press Release - Comments Please!

> The wording and focus need some polishing

Yes. Consider some examples:

< The forces of reaction are surging...

< Throughout history the forces of advancement have struggled against the
reactionary forces of stasis >

Struggle. Forces of reaction. Oddly enough, this *exactly* mimics Stalinist
and Troskyite cant from the Cold war and earlier. (Sorry, but it has to be
noted.)

I suppose it's impossible or at least very hard to convince you to leave out
cult-sounding brand-positioning phrases such as `our extropic goals'. Those
goals include: `extended healthy life, enhanced intelligence, refined
emotions', etc. You might put off fewer uncommitted people by simply listing
them as your goals, and hold the `extropic'. (I happen at the moment to be
reading Jeff Walker's hilarious and devastating THE AYN RAND CULT, so my
tendrils are probably especially fine-tuned for this kind of thing.)

Damien Broderick