[extropy-chat] Anti-technology - Prince Charles, nanotechnology, and the impact on developing countries

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Jan 31 19:27:32 UTC 2004

Here's an item with substantial references on the topic of some current
anti-technology campaigns.

<abstract>

Will Prince Charles et al diminish the opportunities of developing countries
in nanotechnology?

Prince Charles and the ETC Group (formerly RAFI) have expressed opposition
to nanotechnology in recent months, making this seem like a replay of the
genetically-modified (GM) foods debate. That debate essentially ignored the
voices of people in developing countries. Commentators from industrialized
countries are now focusing primarily on nanotechnology risks rather than its
potential benefits. While there are legitimate risks that need to be
managed, we argue that an exclusive focus on the risks will create another
divide, the "nano-divide" - similar to the digital and genomics divides -
between industrialized and developing countries. We have already called
attention to the gap between the science and the ethics of nanotechnology,
citing global equity as a key area in which the ethics of nanotechnology
must catch up to the science in order for the technology to progress in a
socially responsible manner. Here, we show that there is a failure
adequately to consider and understand how nanotechnology can bring benefits
to the 5 bn people in developing countries. Our survey of select developing
countries indicates varying levels of nanotechnology activity that can be
categorized as "front runner", "middle ground" and "up and comer". We argue
that the significant nanotechnology activity in developing countries may be
derailed by a debate that fails to take adequate account of developing
country perspectives.

</abstract>

http://nanotechweb.org/articles/society/3/1/1/1

- Jef