[extropy-chat] Redneck Transhumanists

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 17:39:33 UTC 2004

--- Eliezer Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:
> Spike wrote:
> >
> > But what if there were uncultured redneck transhumanists?
> > What kinds of things would they do and say?
> >
> > spike
> >
> > (This aughta be good)  {8^D
>
> You Might Be A Transhumanist Redneck If:
>
> 1)  You've got an old Saturn V up on blocks in your front lawn.
>
> 2)  You pronounce "Jupiter brain" as "Yoo-pter brain".

As one certified redneck transhumanist, I kin say we'd pronounce it
"Jewptah brins", though the Saturn V may be accurate, its only for the
more landed and wealthy redneck transhumanists. Fer us more poh what
traish redneck transhumanists, it takes a village to get even a minor
missile up in your town:

http://www.nhliving.com/towns/warren/index.shtml

A redneck transhumanist would certainly keep ma and pa frozen in the
back shed, the efforts of Trygve Bauge being an example, now celebrated
in "Frozen Dead Guy Days" in a small town in Colorado.

A redneck transhumanist would certainly maintain a rather poorly
structured website:
http://www.mytrailerpark.com/

And operate an internet business:
http://www.tshirthell.com/

We also count Seymour Cray, father of the supercomputer, among our
kind:
http://www.hoise.com/primeur/96/pr-96-oct/CL-PR-10-96-3.html

Indeed, this evidence lends credence to the claim that transhumanism
would not exist if not for rednecks.

Here are some other redneck transhumanist indicia:
If your e-mail address ends in ".over.yonder.com"
If you connect to the World Wide Web via a "Down Home Page"
If the bumper sticker on your truck says "My other computer is a
laptop"
If your laptop has a sticker that says "Protected by Smith and Wesson"
If you've ever doubled the value of your truck by installing a cellular
phone.
If your baseball cap read "DEC" instead of "CAT"
If your computer is worth more than all your cars combined
If your wife said "either she or the computer had to go", and you still
don't miss her
If you've ever used a CD-ROM as a coaster to set your beer on
If you ever refer to your computer as "Ole Bessy"
If your screen saver is a bitmap image of your favorite truck, tractor,
or farm animal
If you start all your e-mails with the words "Howdy y'all"
http://www.psc.edu/~deerfiel/Jokes/high-tech_redneck.html

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development