[extropy-chat] LIST: Nominating Moderators

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Fri Jul 2 17:12:17 UTC 2004

I have several objections.

An email list or newsgroup can be permanently
archived on your machine. A scoop discussion can not.
As a consequence, I can locally index and search
my history for particular comments.

A web-based system presumes continuous online access.
Several times I've spent a good hour or more composing
a considered reply to a particular post only to have
it eaten by the system.

Scoop and other collaborative blogging systems
inevitably lead to groupthink. Giving arbitrary
users the ability to censor or hide comments leads
users to disagree by hiding comments they oppose
instead of posting a rational, considered response.

In addition, a simple configuration of your mailer
or news reader allows you to delay posting of your
message, giving you time to reconsider and realize
your message was incendiary, stupid, or just incomplete.

I can read an email list of newsgroup and still
seem like I'm working. Believe it or not, this is
a big issue for many people. In addition, many
workplaces limit access to the web; and many web
filters will add a sight to their filter list
simply because it is controversial.

My vote is for a mailing list, or a private (not
necessarily membership-limited, just not propogated
via nntp) news server. It maintains a hierarchy
of responses, and can be stored and browsed locally
and offline.

Acy