[extropy-chat] re: Raw Saturn ring images ready

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 18:44:03 UTC 2004

--- Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
> Yes, checking..  it is the Encke Gap... I was so calm
> and sure about what it could be last night, since the
> images are not labelled in the press release,
> but now that image has  sunk into my brain.
>
> I must say :
>
> WOW !!  THIS IMAGE IS  ** AMAZING **  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I am accustomed to seeing the Encke Gap in images only a few pixels
> wide (from Voyager mostly), and now I'm in awe.  I'll bet
> Mark Showalter is bouncing off the ceiling with that image.

I have a question, though: Why are all the Cassini images in B&W??? As
a kid I was wowed by the photos that NASA mailed me on my request, with
their amazing colors. Did the color camera break, or are they doing the
colorwheel/filter trick like that seen with the mars rovers???

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)