[extropy-chat] Driver safety and the immortalist

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 23:34:17 UTC 2004

--- Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> percentage of single-vehicle crashes. So SUVs/Pickups tend to have
> accidents involving only themselves moreso than cars do. Those
> figures
> don't talk at all about which type of vehicle has more accidents in
> total.
>
> So I don't know how many accidents each type of vehicle initiates,
> but anyway it isn't really relevant to the discussion of how to
> survive driving.

Brian is right on here. The known rule of 4wd explains the prevalence
of single vehicle accidents by SUVs: "4wd will get you out of more
situations that you normally wouldn't get out of, but it will get you
into more situations you normally wouldn't get into." This is due to
the excessive driver confidence one gains with 4wd, typically in
inclement weather and road conditions that 2wd vehicles will shy at...
Most drivers (or travellers, more properly, if you aren't getting paid
to use the SUV) learn this lesson once. Of course, it helps to have the
common sense typical of being a redneck.... ;)

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)