[extropy-chat] new free Vinge story, with illos

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 03:30:58 UTC 2004

Excellent story, I liked it a lot. That patchwork way of operating,
pulling in knowledge you need from the net, feels like home to me (as
a coder in 2004). His ideas about the change from deep knowledge to
very broad, shallow, just-in-time knowledge ring true too. Imo, we
need that to a large extent, or else we are always bound by the speed
with which we can deep learn. Shallow net-enabled work is really a
better way of distributing a scarce resource, expertise.

btw, I read the novel as a file on a 3G phone/PDA/jack-of-all-trades
thing, mostly whilst wandering around doing other stuff. It felt good
:-)

Emlyn

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:32:16 -0400, Gregory Propf <gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Patrick Wilken wrote:
>
> > Hey Damien:
> >
> > Do you know if he is working on any new novels?
> >
> > best, patrick
> >

> > On 8 Jul 2004, at 03:57, Damien Broderick wrote:
> >
> Nice story.  I would just like to say that if you liked it it's best to
> save a local copy.  They always claim that "we archive these things
> forever" but often when you click the bookmark a year later - big fat 404.

Emlyn