[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Jul 12 18:36:00 UTC 2004

My first reaction: The senior people in the Bush administration have
demonstrated a profound ignorance of the US constitution, and it
underlying principles. This is merely the most recent and most egregious
example.

My second reaction: The arguments in favor of gun ownership now outweigh
the arguments against.

My third reaction:  I think that someone in the government should in
fact be thinking hard about how the the government and people of this
country should react to a credible terrorist threat on election day.
There may in fact be threats which should result in suspending the
election. Therefore, we should in fact discuss this now rather than
closer to the election.  It may be that this is all that has happened.
Unfortunately, the Bush administration no longer has the credibility to
initiate and lead this discussion.