[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 22:39:05 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Gregory Propf <gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Mike Lorrey wrote:
>>

>>>Somewhat, but no less than previous administrations. Bush, for
>>>instance, does recognise my 2nd amendment rights as individual
>>>

>>rights,
>>

>>>not community or states rights. He recognises the distinction
>>>

>>between
>>

>>>legal and illegal combatants,
>>>

>>It's going to be really funny (to me) when Homeland security declares
>>all the freestaters to be "enemy combatants"
>>

>It will be funny, for about five seconds. Then I'll have to admit to
>all the Birchers whose conspiracy theories about bankers, lawyers, the
>ultra-rich, and communism, I disparage so much, that they were right...

This is just an ad hominem.  That the Birchers might have been
excessively vigilant in their theorizing about the dangers of an
especially powerful central authority does not mean that such dangers do
not exist.  It is the height of irony to me that "libertarians" today
are often the most vocal supporters of fascism.  One of the many reasons
I won't be moving to New Hampshire anytime soon.

>>>Profiling for terrorists is not racial profiling, it is terrorist
>>>profiling. 70 year old grannies, white males in suits, soccer moms
>>>

>>with
>>

>>>kids in the minivan are not in the profile.
>>>
>>>FYI: The Democrats invented 'racial' profiling. Hallowed liberal,
>>>Robert Kennedy, as US Attorny General under his brother, in
>>>investigating KKK anti-civil rights activities, ordered police and
>>>national guard units across the South to profile white males at
>>>

>>highway
>>

>>>roadblocks and other locations, on the logic that women and blacks
>>>

>>and
>>

>>>other minorities could not belong to the KKK.... why was it okay
>>>

>>then?
>>

>>This is a red herring.
>>

>On the contrary, the other significant instance of racial profiling in
>20th century US was, of course, the Japanese internment during WWII
>under the direction of the Democrat, FDR.

You still don't have a point.  What FDR did does not justify the actions
of the Bush administration.