[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:18:49 UTC 2004

I don't see why we our society needs to answer this hypothetical
situation before the fact.  Before the fact planning how to shutdown
the election and for how many reasons makes people pretty darn
nervous.  If something that extreme happens we will have to deal with
it vis a vis the election when it happens.   Too much planning in
terms of extremely horrendous but very small possibilities results in
paranoia and temptation to invoke emergency powers all ready to go.

I certainly don't trust an incumbent to decide whether to hold the
election that could remove him.