[extropy-chat] technological equilibrium

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:53:26 UTC 2004

>From: Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>
>
>Some people stopped, but unless they stopped reading fantastic fiction
>entirely they're*stuck* with looong, absurdly long novels and trilogies and
>worse. Comfort fantasy, by and large (rather than hard sf), but even the sf
>is longish. Mainstream novels are also on the hefty side, mostly.

Lately, I've been reading GenX fluff fiction by the likes of Douglas
Coupland, Alex Garland, Chuck Palahniuk, Nick Hornby etc and almost all
their books are under 300 pages and thats with generous spacing and fots.

There are still a few hefty sci-fi and fantasy novels I occasionally read,
but mostly just trying to finish out  series I started years ago. I recently
avoided the new Neal Stephenson books because of their size (900 pages x3
books) although I loved Cryptonomicon.

I find that I don't have the time to commit to a huge book. I need my
entertainment in bundles of small pages that I can go through chapter by
chapter.

BAL