[extropy-chat] technological equilibrium

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 05:43:01 UTC 2004

> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] technological equilibrium
>
> --- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Perhaps society's change rate will saturate or reach
> > some kind of equilibrium because we will
> > overstimulate our minds beyond our ability to maintain focus.
>
> Or perhaps we've simply gotten better at compressing
> information, and *that* is one of the reasons we're
> developing things so fast today...

Something in your comment made me think of one skill
we have all developed in the past 10 years: we have
gotten damn good at recognizing spam.  We are waaay
fast at that, we can do it in a second.

Thats the good news.  The bad news is...  I expect it
will soon become muuuch harder to recognize spam, and
even an exceedingly good spam filter could be rendered
helpless.  The spammers may soon write a script which
will go thru the archives of chat groups, bite out a
chunk of text, paste it into a fake message, then append
their advertisement onto the end, then send the message
to all those on the chat group.

Most of the text would be relevant to the interests of
the receiver.  We may spend a lot of time reading the
post before we realize we have been had, spammed.

Unless we think of an effective counterattack, this
type of spam could eventually render chat groups useless.