[extropy-chat] technological equilibrium

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Sat Jul 17 21:03:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Or perhaps we've simply gotten better at compressing
> information, and *that* is one of the reasons we're
> developing things so fast today.  If it takes you a
> few days to learn a complex topic, where previously
> the fastest option was a college course that took
> months, then it becomes more feasable to incorporate
> said complex topic into a short development cycle

Funny, I tend to think the opposite is true.  A century
ago, somebody could go to university and learn ALL of
physics, and in the 1960's it must have been possible
for a single person to learn ALL of computer science.

In contrast, I suspect there's nobody who knows everything
of either field today...

Rik