[extropy-chat] Politics: US talks of suspending elections

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sat Jul 17 21:21:53 UTC 2004

On Jul 17, 2004, at 1:20 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:
> Not just the party-bots, though.  There are quite a few
> concerned parents around, who know that if they don't
> vote Bush out of office, their kids could be drafted
> into the army.
>
> Rumor has it the target date for the reinstated draft
> would be june or july next year.  IF Bush wins, that is.

This is nonsense, and the only people who have floated the idea are the
Democrats.  It is nothing more than a ploy to spread FUD pre-election.
  The Department of Defense is adamantly against the idea, as
conscription troops are markedly inferior to professional forces and
degrade the overall force structure.  In effect, the overall capability
of the military would not increase in any significant sense even if you
doubled the number of soldiers through conscription.  Given no
significant benefit at the cost of greatly increased logistical
footprint, the military will take quality over quantity every time.

Instead, the DoD is doing something that it should have done a long
time ago:  re-deploy the few hundred thousand soldiers still in Cold
War deployments to useful theaters, much to the whining of Europe and
Asia.

Military conscription won't happen, nor does it need to happen.  The
reason political parties (the Democrats in this case) promote ideas
like this is precisely so that people like you will think that it is
real possibility and pin the notion on whoever the current
administration is.  Manipulation of the masses, as usual.  Parents who
are worried about this need to stop drinking so much conspiracy
Koolaid.

It never fails.  Every single election is preceded with a good portion
of the population descending into an irrational state of delusional
paranoia about the Other Guy, which the politicians feed to their own
ends.  And people wonder why I have such a low opinion of the species.

j. andrew rogers