[extropy-chat] Art - Wither Thou Goest?

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Fri Jul 23 13:24:53 UTC 2004

I see my art as my local intelligence manipulating a miniscule part of
the greater intelligence of the universe. It expresses an idea. The
idea is still mine, even though I put the energy out there for others.
It is an intellectual footprint, if you will.

So if that art really "does something" for people, then I would want as
many people to have it as possible. If it transcends, then I would want
it to transcend financial and physical barriers as well.

That being said, I'd want my idea to be free, and most importantly -
copied in exacting accuracy.

Ten years ago getting a work copied in good detail was harder than
today. Even today 2d works are difficult to match outside of their
medium (say a photographic print of an oil painting) because the
reproducing form does not capture the original character. I had an
inter-negative postscript process I developed, and only recently have
6-color printers been able to re-create a similar depth of tone.

But what if this replicator in the article could pour over my
sculpture, and reproduce it in a slab of marble that came from the same
quarry?

If I had time to go over it and touch it up, I'd give it my approval I
think.

People are going to copy a good idea. It is a human trait. The best you
can do is charge where you can, what you feel is right. If a
multinational wants your work in a commercial, or a collector "must
have" it, then they pay a price. This return on your work provides
capital to drive your newer projects. If done properly, you stay ahead
of the curve.

That's my two kopeks worth.

Bret Kulakovich