[extropy-chat] terrorism solutions?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 28 16:51:57 UTC 2004

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I see the
> complicity of the media in terrorism. Terrorism
> needs
> the media in order to prosper. The news is like a
> role
> call of glory for martyrs.

Especially their home news channels, which they watch
and we can't control.  (Yes, those of the Middle East
do have their own satellite networks - plural.  At
least one of them have been accused of showing
terrorists in a positive light, and there's a reason
for that.)

> What
> should be emphasised as "breaking news" are failed
> terrorist attempts where the would be terrorists
> undergo public humiliation (perhaps even culturally
> specific- like being shaved and made to wear a dress
> or being fed only pork while being forced to wallow
> in
> a pig pen) on TV before they are punished by
> conventional means.

If the Americans enforced it, they wouldn't care.
That'd just be the Americans being Americans.

If the Iraqi government enforced it...they can still
claim it's the "American puppets", but that argument
seems to be carrying less weight these days.

> They should be
> laughed at and not made out to be scary powerful
> people.

Your idea has promise, but it needs the right target
audience.  Not the one that is afraid of them, but the
one that wants to be them.  Making them be laughed at
might be good, although one must make sure to tailor
it so that it's their recruiting pool - their fellow
Muslims - that's doing the laughing.  Don't worry
about soothing the American public (though this would
be a useful by-product).