[extropy-chat] Royal Society report on nano

Ben Cunningham benboc at lineone.net
Fri Jul 30 20:17:00 UTC 2004

Eugen Leitl said:

> We're obviously not talking about some piece of today's "nanotechnology",
> which only is called that for marketing hype purposes.

We might not be,  but I'm afraid that report is.

The report specifically says that the kind of nanotech that involves
molecular assembly is not likely "in the foreseeable future". In other
words, they rule it out of their considerations altogether.

The report is a big disappointment, and just highlights that the term
'nanotechnology' has been hi-jacked by industry. Transhumanists are going to
have to stop using the term, i think, for fear of confusing things.
Otherwise, people are going to start thinking that titanium dioxide is
REALLY amazing stuff.
'Nanotechnology' is no longer MNT.

ben