[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 1 20:11:55 UTC 2004

What he said.  From the article:

> Your personal feelings are not a consideration. Is
> this the best thing for Earth?

Perhaps.  Setting humility aside for the moment, most
of my past employers told me I was far and away the
best programmer they had ever worked with.  The ones
who didn't were employing me for non-programming
skills.  I've gotten over $100K salary at previous
jobs, and even with personal feelings towards this
project letting me discount my rate, I'd demand a high
pay rate so I can set aside all material worries
(first and foremost, what happens to me - and my other
financial concerns - if the project goes nowhere
despite my efforts, which possibility has happened
with far too many less venturesome projects to simply
ignore) and do the best job that I can...

> You may not get paid very well.

...but this answer simply does NOT suffice.  I suspect
the same is true for any programmer of my caliber or
higher, which only reinforces things.  (Creating
Friendly AI by myself?  Unlikely, at best.  Creating
Friendly AI with a lot of help of my caliber?  That's
starting to become possible.)

You might be able to recruit top coders by other
means.  Take Linux, for example.  But, as with Linux,
it's usually only possible after people find a way to
make money while still "donating" their efforts (i.e.
for Linux, someone who helped write the kernel is
demonstrably something of an expert, and can get hired
to expert-level jobs at organizations making use of
Linux).  Perhaps if you had enough of a seed AI that
it could be applied to productive uses even while
incomplete?  (Think of it as bootstrapping.)  But
you'll need someone to help you get it that far, and
you need to offer something in the mean time.

Transforming the Earth the right way, even if one dies
in the process, but is at least certain the project
will reach its desired end - that can be managed.
Risking everything when there's a good chance of
nothing?  Sorry, but the same judgement you call for
to guide the project through, tells me there are far
less risky (personally and for all of humanity) paths
to reach the same end of a Friendly AI, and they don't
(presently) involve me dedicating my working hours to
non-payers like you.

http://www.singinst.org/action/seed-ai-programmer.html