[extropy-chat] Eliezer Yudkowsky on AI design

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 2 14:11:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:40:07AM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> >Many orders of magnitude more performance is a poor man's substitute for
> >cleverness, by doing a rather thorough sampling of a lucky search space.
>
> Right.  But it automatically kills you.  Worse, you have to be clever to

Quite possible. Which is why I'm saying trying to build a human grade
AI is probably not a very good idea.

> realize this.  This represents an urgent problem for the human species, but
> at least I am not personally walking directly into the whirling razor
> blades, now that I know better.

You're still trying to build an AI, though.

> >I think (based on my layman's understanding of current state of the art)
> >a connectionist, very probably a spiking architecture is vital.
>
> What on Earth does that have to do with intelligence?  That is building a
> wooden airfield and hoping that someone brings cargo.

Your guess is as good as mine. If the hardware's already there, and bootstrap
easy we'll know soon enough. (I'm not holding my breath, and am still
planning for allocating funds for retirement).