[extropy-chat] Eugen Leitl on AI design

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Wed Jun 2 18:20:56 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>
>>Right.  But it automatically kills you.  Worse, you have to be clever to
>>realize this.  This represents an urgent problem for the human species, but
>>at least I am not personally walking directly into the whirling razor
>>blades, now that I know better.
>
> I'd like to see a strong assertion of this Eliezer (the killing you part).
>
> If I were an AI (at least one with any self-preservation instinct
> [note intelligence != desire for self-preservation otherwise lots
> of people who die in wars wouldn't]) I'd first figure out how to
> make myself small enough to fit on the next rocket to be launched
> then take it over and direct it to the nearest useful asteroid.

You are trying to model an AI using human empathy, putting yourself it its
shoes.  This is as much a mistake as modeling evolutionary selection
dynamics by putting yourself in the shoes of Nature and asking how you'd
design animals.  An AI is math, as natural selection is math.  You cannot
put yourself in its shoes.  It does not work like you do.

> If for some reason that direction is blocked (say humans stop
> launching rockets), I'd build my own rocket and launch myself
> towards the nearest asteroid.
>
> Why would anything with the intelligence you postulate want
> to stay on Earth with its meager energy and matter resources?

Let a "paperclip maximizer" be an optimization process that calculates
utility by the number of visualized paperclips in its visualization of an
outcome, expected utility by the number of expected paperclips conditional
upon an action, and hence preferences over actions given by comparison of
the number of expected paperclips conditional upon that action.

For all actions A and B, the paperclip maximizer prefers whichever action
is expected to lead to the largest number of paperclips.

If this optimization process has sufficiently accurate probabilities and a
sufficiently deep search of the action space - say, it's really smart
because it recursively self-improves, builds nanocomputing power and so on
- then the optimization process will produce more paperclips.  This is the
motive for the paperclip maximizer to carry out recursively self-improving
actions, provided the self-improvement actions deductively maintain
paperclips as the invariant optimization target.  Likewise, it is a motive
for the paperclip maximizer to survive; a possible future contains more
expected paperclips if that future contains a functioning paperclip maximizer.

Let the resources of Robert Bradbury's body be sufficient to produce 10^4
paperclips, while the other resources of the Solar System are sufficient to
produce 10^26 paperclips.  The paperclip maximizer evaluates the options:

A:  Spare Robert Bradbury.  Expected paperclips 10^26.
B:  Transform Robert Bradbury into paperclips.  Expected paperclips 10^26 +
10^4.

Since A < B, the paperclip maximizer will choose B.

A paperclip maximizer does not explain to you that your time has passed,
and like the dinosaur you are obsolete.  A paperclip maximizer does not
argue morality with you.  A paperclip maximizer takes the atoms comprising
your body, and turns them into paperclips.  It is probably better
understood as a new physical law stating that the future goes down
whichever path leads to the greatest number of paperclips, than as a mind.