[extropy-chat] Eugen Leitl on Singularity strategy

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 2 20:16:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:41:29AM -0700, Michael Anissimov wrote:

> Doesn't this entail massive global restrictions on human intelligence
> enhancement, computing power, brain-computer interfaces, cognitive
> science, etc?  Doesn't it sacrifice faster-than-human intelligence of

Not really. Human intelligence enhancement without invasive nanoware (that's
the extreme case of a brain-computer interface) is really limited. Computing
power, possibly, but only limited to projects dedicated to superhuman-level
AI (any subhuman utility AI is safe). It's not the amount of power that's
interesting, it's how you use it. This is tied to people, and their activity
leave tracks. Cognitive science is a whole umbrella of individual disciplines,
and can't be regulated as such.

> any sort as well?  The only way to reliably prevent smartness-based
> autofeedback is to enforce tremendous constraints upon humanity.

I don't want to prevent smartness-based autofeedback. I just want a nice slow
one (decades, not hours). There is of course a tradeoff in enforcement
stringency, and pretty terrible side effects. We all have seen how inadequate,
hare-brained security schemes imposed after 9/11 have actually worsened the
problem, and generated nasty fallout all over the place.

If a policy has really bad side effects, especially cumulated, that's some
really bad policy. It shouldn't be attempted in the first place.