[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 2 20:45:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:24:24AM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Restoring humility: only a single Master's
> ("computational neuroscience" would be an accurate

Very interesting, and highly unusual. You definitely shouldn't call yourself
a mere "programmer".

> description; the term UCLA used was "biocybernetics"),

Can you outline the details of the study for us who're not comp neurosci
people? Roughly which areas did the lectures cover, and which
modelling packages/problem sets were used in practical work? I'm really
interested.

> I've designed ASICs before (that was my first real
> job, in fact, as an intern one summer during high
> school), and I've built distributed systems designed

Unfortunately, prototyping ASICs with on-die crossbars/switch
fabric, multiple ALUs and large on-die memory have a very large
threshold. This is something requiring serious funding to even get started.

> to run on >1000 nodes (although the dot-bomb I built

SOAPy/XML-RPC stuff, or MPI?

> it for crashed before it actually set up that many
> nodes).  "Complex nonlinear dynamics" is vague enough
> that I can say I can handle it, though you may have
> something more specific in mind.

Nothing very specific, several roughly Soanta Fe Institute level
publications.

> > And you're only taking 100 k$/year? Wow, you're a
> > real bargain.
>
> I haven't found any jobs that use everything that I
> know.  I doubt I will, at least in the next several
> years.

You've got some extremely unusual background for a "programmer", so this
doesn't really surprise me. Do you know several people with roughly your
background, and are you still keeping in touch?