[extropy-chat] AI design

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 06:41:54 UTC 2004

At 11:17 PM 6/3/2004 -0700, Zero wrote:

>My genetic prime directive is to impregnate as many fit females as possible.
>I'll be the first to admit that ignoring that prime directive is not always
>easy

However--

Unless one is a very gorgeous, wealthy, persuasive man, Zero (as you and I
both are :) one would surely find that *acting on* such a directive gets
one into a world of trouble, while by no means ensuring that one's genes
will be multiplied.

Indeed, just allowing oneself to be driven totally by such a prime
directive would be a monumental waste of time and energy, and, given our
social nature, would almost certainly tend to thwart one's chances of
successfully raising kids with any fit females at all.

Optimizers don't necessarily finish first. And nice guys (like both you and
me, and most folks on this list) do okay.

Damien Broderick