[extropy-chat] DAY AFTER TOMORROW meets Asimov

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sat Jun 5 15:44:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>about the robots amok, I don't see that either. While it wasn't at the
>forefront in his novels, his robots did, in fact, send ships all over
>the galaxy committing genocide via terraforming against any number of
>intelligent alien races, which is why in the Foundation series only
>humans inhabit the galaxy. Daneel was no saint, nor were his comrades.
>Their zeroeth rule only resulted in the rationalization of the deaths
>of trillions of intelligent alien beings, who were judged not 'human'
>only because they didn't have the look of homo sapiens.

There isn't any like that in any book written by Asimov! Only in the End
of the Eternity, it is suggested that a special timeline was selected for
the humans where they would evolve faster than the aliens, and thus
colonize worlds before them. There's one world that the robots helped
destroy (the Earth...), but everything was set up by humans.

Alfio