[extropy-chat] SIAI seeking seed AI programmer candidates

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sun Jun 6 05:53:51 UTC 2004

On Jun 2, 2004, at 3:50 AM, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 05:42:27AM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
>>> This is SIAI's project, Eugen, not yours, don't embroider our job
>>> requirements.  I don't currently expect to require anything special
>>> in the
>> I'm not speaking about SIAI's project. I'm talking about the kind of
>> talent
>> and background required to have a faint chance of succeeding,
>> assuming a
>> well-funded large scale effort.
>>> way of hardware.  Lots and lots of cognitive science background is a
>>> good
>> I think your best ROI is using the Grid framework, and ask for time
>> on a
>> cluster and/or look for volunteer contributors a la SIAI at home.
>
> No.  We are not here to wipe out the human species by brute-forcing an
> AI.  If we cannot do it on off-the-shelf hardware, we should not be in
> the business.

This makes no sense to me.  There is no rational reason I am aware of
that makes off-the-shelf hardware more Friendly or less dangerous than
more specialized hardware given equally valid theory and understanding.
   The better hardware may simply mean the system is easier to bring up
and has wider ability and self-improves faster than would have
otherwise.  This may be essentially to saving more lives.

> This is not about computing power, never has been.

This is a flat assertion with on reason offered to believe it is
correct.

>   I want a small handful of world-class geniuses that can understand
> the basics, and perhaps a few non-world-class geniuses to carry out
> prespecified tasks that don't require Bayesian enlightenment.  I am
> not throwing people at the problem and I am not throwing computing
> power at the problem.  I know better than that now.

Frankly, I don't see how you know better or that what you think you
know (in respect to computing power at least) is better.

> That is just what people talk about when they have no idea what they
> are doing or how to solve the problem, and no, Eugen, that is not a
> request for yet another lecture about how mys-TER-ri-ous the problem
> is.  I am not here to screw around with no clue what I am doing. That
> is just a fancy way of committing suicide, as I know, now that I
> understand some of the rules.  Stop making up our job requirements for
> us.  Start your own thread if you want to discuss your own AI project.
>  Thank you.

Stop acting like the all-knowing ass that never explains anything.   I
wouldn't work for you or with you even if I did believe you had the
only correct idea about how to save the world.  With your attitude you
would be bound to screw it up.  I would not help you do so.

- samantha