[extropy-chat] SIAI structure question

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 13:49:49 UTC 2004

The WTA board appears to be going through some growth problems at present.

The thought occurs to me that it could be very dangerous for us if the
SIAI has similar problems in a few years time as development of FAI is
in the final testing phase.

Programming the maximum optimizing process will be a team project
extending over a period of years and the size of SIAI board and staff
will probably grow during this time.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Inventions are always used for
purposes other than the original intention of the inventor. When the
power of the software becomes evident, some individual(s) is(are) bound
to think about taking a copy of all or part of the software for their
own use. (Let us hope SIAI have a security team in place by then).

With the whole world at stake, perhaps Elizier will be voted off the
board, when others feel his input is no longer required for the
development and his ideas obstruct their own plans.

Perhaps a sub-set of SIAI will think - We built this - why not keep it
for our own benefit?

Of course, these AI power games may well mean the end of the human race.
But the payoff, if successful, is so big, that I doubt whether ALL the
members of SIAI and their advisers, friends, etc. will be able to resist
temptation.

It is much easier to consider these problems well in advance.

BillK