[extropy-chat] Dr. James Hughes responds to Harvey Newstrom

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:38:10 UTC 2004

I am with Natasha here, and I am not too worried of having separate
versions of a document called "Transhumanist FAQ". It is normal that a
common source spans out different offsprings (think of Linux
distributions). If different documents have the same name then people
will start referring to the "Transhumanist FAQ on the ExI site",  the
"Transhumanist FAQ on the WTA site", etc. I am sure there are many
documents called e.g. "Linux FAQ".
The Colloquium seems a good idea. Perhaps some problems and
misunderstandings stem from the fact that when we choose to subscribe
to a memeset we tend to try "owning" it and putting a nametag on it.
And as one of the participants in our Spanish transhumanist list said
recently (more on this in a few days), this decreases the viral power
of the memes. The most effective memes are those with no owners and no
name.
G.