Machinima (was RE: [extropy-chat] automated sci-fi program)

Emlyn ORegan Emlyn.Oregan at micromet.com.au
Thu Jun 10 00:57:30 UTC 2004

For those of you who haven't heard of it, check out Machinima. This is
where (correct me if I'm wrong here), people are using commercial 3D
games to make movies and soap operas.

For instance, for a high quality Machinima, check out www.RedVsBlue.com,
which is a soap opera set in the Xbox's Halo. These guys write a script,
send in actors each playing an in game character, and play out the
scenes while recording the action (I guess using a "record snapshot"
feature; I've never played Halo). Then I assume there's some playing
with POV for the director afterwards, a bit of video editing, and voila!
Instant 3D animated show. Download some of the episodes in the archive
and have a look; it's pretty funny stuff.

People are also doing this in Quake, (using Q3Radiant for example).
There's some info here:
http://www.machinima.com/tritin-films/machinima.htm .

Emlyn