[extropy-chat] DAY AFTER TOMORROW meets Asimov

Don Dartfield twodeel at jornada.org
Thu Jun 10 20:00:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> <snip>
> Robots, after travelling many light years at sublight speed, would pick
> whatever planet could be formed for the least work.
>
> Keep in mind that the spacers generally considered themselves distinctly
> different from humans on Earth. They were thus of sufficient racial bias
> to easily entertain genocide of alien species.

But is that spelled out, or is that just a deduction?  It doesn't sound
like anything I remember from Asimov.  I mean, unless he was writing some
kind of social commentary, Asimov doesn't seem like the kind of author who
would write about mass genocide.  Wouldn't his characters usually rather
study alien life than wipe it out?