[extropy-chat] Re: Cassini latest pictures

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun Jun 20 13:31:48 UTC 2004

>The images of Phoebe were quite lunar, or maybe asteroidal.

If they are correct that it is a captured object from the Kuiper
Belt region, then that shiny stuff that looks like ice makes
sense.

>Will Cassini get any closer to mysterious Titan?

I posted this last October. I thought it might be useful to post
again. (these are 'highlights' that I pulled out of the schedule)

Amara

Cassini-Huygens Mission Events Timeline, 2004-2005

June 11, 2004: Flyby of Phoebe at about 2,100 kilometers.

July 1, 2004: Saturn orbit insertion. Main engine burn begins at
spacecraft-event time of 01:02 Universal Time (6:02 p.m. June 30
Pacific Daylight Time). Burn lasts about 97 minutes ending near
closest approach to Saturn. Then the antenna points earthward for a
quick call home to confirm the burn and new trajectory. Then the
spacecraft turns for scientific observations for about 74 minutes.
Then it points the antenna earthward again to transmit data from
those observations.  One-way light time is about 90 minutes.

October 26, 2004: Flyby of Titan at about 1,200 kilometers.
Observations may include radar and infrared imaging of surface
details, plus information about winds.

December 13, 2004: Flyby of Titan at about 2,350 kilometers.
Observations may include additional surface imaging and wind
information.

December 15, 2004:  Flyby of Dione at about 84,000 kilometers.

December 24, 2004:  Release of Huygens probe.

January 1, 2005:  Orbiter flyby of Iapetus at about 64,000 kilometers.

January 14, 2005:  Descent of Huygens probe onto Titan, lasting
about two and one-half hours.  A signal received about two hours
later should confirm that data has been collected. Orbiter flyby of
Titan at about 60,000 kilometers.

February 15, 2005:  Flyby of Titan at about 950 kilometers.

February 17, 2005:  Flyby of Enceladus at about 2,900 kilometers.

March 9, 2005:  Flyby of Enceladus at about 750 kilometers.

March 31, April 16, August 22, September 7, October 28 and December
26, 2005:  Flybys of Titan at about 950 to 11,000 kilometers.

July 14, 2005:  Flyby of Enceladus at about 1,000 kilometers.

August 2, 2005:  Flyby of Mimas at about 50,000 kilometers.

September 24, 2005:  Flyby of Tethys at about 28,000 kilometers.

September 26, 2005:  Flyby of Hyperion at about 1,100 kilometers.

October 11, 2005:  Flyby of Dione at about 1,600 kilometers.

November 26, 2005: Flyby of Rhea at about 1,300 kilometers.

September 10, 2007: Flyby of Iapetus at 1,700 kilometers.

December 3, 2007:  Flyby of Epimetheus at 6,400 kilometers.

Amara Graps, PhD             email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics        vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers            URL:   http://www.amara.com/