[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. Americans support stem cell research

Gregory Propf gpropf1 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 16:53:01 UTC 2004

Technotranscendence wrote:

>If there's a government ban, I'm sure the government monies will be
>taken away too.  So, what's your point?

The funding ban is a good indicator of the administration's "mood"
towards the research.  We should work for a removal of the ban if only
for that reason.  It certainly makes any kind of legislative ban less
likely and would give a boost to private funding as well.  A long
position in the stem cell companies on the day of the ban's removal
would be a very good thing to have IMHO.

>>And of course the same religious
>>conservatives who lobbied for the stem
>>cell funding ban will be pushing for this.
>>

>Not just them, but also non-religious technophobes.

Well, I forgot to mention them but yes.  Especially in Europe you see
this.  Very few fundamentalists there but lots of eco-fundies and
luddites.  This is going to be the "coalition against progress" for the
early 21st century.  Religious types and "deep ecology" people united to
keep us all dying young and having such a miserable time of it while
we're here that we'll want to be dead anyway.  Nice acronym  - CAP.  I
can hear the rap lyrics now...

>>The hypocrisy of condemning the UN as
>>the biblical "beast" when it doesn't do
>>what they want, like invading Iraq on
>>Shrub's schedule, while using it to push
>>for a global stem cell ban won't even
>>occur to them.
>>

>I believe things are more complicated than that.  A lot of these people
>don't disagree with the fundamental point of using government to further
>their agenda, including international governmental bodies like the UN
>

>But the important point to them is the agenda -- not the means of
>implementing it.  If they can get what they want through the UN,
>they'll -- or some of them -- will be all for it.  If they can't,
>they'll be as quick to condemn the UN.

Go visit Freerepublic.com (I can't believe I'm actually recommending
someone visit this site :)  You will not believe the stuff the nutbar
right puts out there about the evil "bluehelmets".