[extropy-chat] Three-quarters of N. American's support stem cell research

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 20 23:11:43 UTC 2004

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>
wrote:
> > It makes me angry that the only way to advance
> science in this country
> > is to wed it to the schmaltz and emotionalism
> surrounding the death of
> > a president.
>
> The only way to advance science in any country is to
> do it yourself.

Sure thing!  No problem.  But, how do I pay the bills
while I'm devoting my working hours to advancing
science?

(This is not a hypothetical question, BTW.  I'm
investigating something that's been distracting me
from real work, using my own savings until I'm
satisfied with the results.  But my savings will only
last so long.  Since I don't have a Ph.D. in the
field, and the issue is rather far from firmly
resolved and known science - even if it is a logical
extension of what's been demonstrated and measured -
getting funding for the work itself from any of the
usual sources seems so unlikely it might not be worth
the time to try...)