[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Re: Cassini latest pictures

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 20 23:25:29 UTC 2004

--- In forteana at yahoogroups.com, "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at m...> fwded:
> December 24, 2004:  Release of Huygens probe.

My minor claim to fame is that I tested the prototype of the Thermal
Properties package (THP) of the Surface Science Package of the Huygens
probe back in 1991.

From
<
http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/index.cfm?fobjectid=31193&fbodylongid=740

"The thermal properties sensor assembly makes measurements of the
Titan ocean and lower atmospheric temperature and thermal
conductivity. It is housed in the SSP Top Hat. Conventional sensors
for this purpose are platinum wires 5 cm long and 10 and 25 microns in
diameter. The thermal conductivity measuring technique is to pass a
current through the wire to heat it and the surrounding medium. A
series of resistance measurements are taken at approx. 0.1 s intervals
to measure the rate of heating of the element and detect the onset of
convection."

This is what it looks like now:

http://pssri.open.ac.uk/images/thp.jpg

but the original wasn't nearly so pretty (certainly not after I'd
finished with the soldering iron).

Rob

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program