[extropy-chat] gmail invitations

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 21 22:48:25 UTC 2004

> It's already
> well-documented that Yahoo moves Gmail
> invites into the Bulk Mail folder.

False, or at least not always true.  I received (and
declined) a Gmail invite yesterday; it landed in my
Inbox.  But this would not be the first instance of
legit mail getting flagged by the spam filters; these
false positives happen just often enough that I at
least check the subject lines of all email in the Bulk
folder before wiping them.

(Most of my legit email is through lists like this
which have tags in front of them.  Any other legit
email is from someone I know or has a descriptive
subject - i.e., messages from complete strangers
labelled just "Hello" get tossed as spam unread,
especially if they have attachments.  You wanna get my
attention when I don't know you, you gotta put a bit
of thought into it.  Even a couple 10 year old newbies
- or so they seemed from their spelling and word
choices - were able to defeat this filter, and they
did have information of interest to me - specifically,
comments and questions about my work.)