[extropy-chat] TECH: Fuel cells and terrorism

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Jun 24 17:45:48 UTC 2004

Ok, I have to ask this question.  There is a big push
by the major computer manufacturers (e.g. Toshiba [1])
as well cell phone makers, MP3 player makers, etc. to
power devices with fuel cells.

The primary fuel cited for fuel cells is usually methanol.

Now one of the major reasons to have such power sources
is to use them on planes during long flights to Russia,
South Africa, Japan, Australia, etc.  To refuel the
fuel cells one presumably needs a container of methanol
(similar to what one used/uses to use to refill cigarette
lighters).  (Or one is going to a conference and one wants
to bring along a refueling source because they may not
be available at the conference site, etc.)

How in the blazes is aviation security going to deal with people
transporting what is effectively the raw materials for a bomb (or at least
an incendiary device)?  Yes we have "sniffers" but I can think of ways
around them.  One can easily disguise the fluid in one or more containers.
One could carry on a dozen or more laptops pre-fueled and then drain the
fuel out of them in a bathroom, etc.

And while I'm on the topic, lets consider Space Ship One.
While its current launch and return location doesn't present
much of a risk, consider it being launched someplace further
to the east (lets say in Maryland).  Wealthy passengers
buy a seat, wait until it finishes its trip to 100km, then
remove the pilot (no passenger-pilot barriers currently
in this plane), then pilot it down to 50,000 feet (probably
still above the capabilities of Air Force planes/missles),
then point it at the capitol building and let it free fall.
I am doubtful that we would have the capability to
intercept or divert it.  (The military must be going
bonkers over the potential problems with private access
to space...  Either that or their heads are in the sand
just like they were with the idea that planes could be
used as guided bombs.)

Robert