[extropy-chat] TECH: Fuel cells and terrorism

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Thu Jun 24 19:27:26 UTC 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 10:45 AM, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> How in the blazes is aviation security going to deal with people
> transporting what is effectively the raw materials for a bomb (or at
> least
> an incendiary device)?  Yes we have "sniffers" but I can think of ways
> around them.  One can easily disguise the fluid in one or more
> containers.
> One could carry on a dozen or more laptops pre-fueled and then drain
> the
> fuel out of them in a bathroom, etc.

a) I believe the one charge lifetime of the fuel cell batteries is
longer than most plane flights;
b) the amount of methanol needed for a recharge is tiny;
c) methanol is not exactly difficult to acquire;
d) current cabin luggage limits would tend to preclude a "dozen or more
laptops";
e) the amount of methanol per fuel cell is negligible;
f) I could carry "disguised containers of methanol" now.

> And while I'm on the topic, lets consider Space Ship One.
> While its current launch and return location doesn't present
> much of a risk, consider it being launched someplace further
> to the east (lets say in Maryland).  Wealthy passengers
> buy a seat, wait until it finishes its trip to 100km, then
> remove the pilot (no passenger-pilot barriers currently
> in this plane), then pilot it down to 50,000 feet (probably
> still above the capabilities of Air Force planes/missles),
> then point it at the capitol building and let it free fall.
> I am doubtful that we would have the capability to
> intercept or divert it.  (The military must be going
> bonkers over the potential problems with private access
> to space...  Either that or their heads are in the sand
> just like they were with the idea that planes could be
> used as guided bombs.)

Their head were certainly not in the sand as it was proposed as far
back as the early sixties.

- s